$100,000 in Grant Money Unaccounted For
Had Mayor David Persing formed a committee from the criminal element to advise on his camera installation, they might have come up with the following suggestions:
- Delay the project as long as he could.
- Waste half the money on useless equipment
- Buy as few cameras as possible
- Recommended someone they knew to do the installation work
- Install them in places such as the Riverfront and Swimming Pool where there is no criminal activity
- Hide the feeds from the police department – the City Barn might be a good place for that
- Don’t even tell the police where the cameras are
They might have also added to their wish list the request to isolate the Chief of Police and starve his department of the funding and manpower needed to effectively fight crime in Sunbury.
Bungling Incompetence Exposed
Far-fetched? Just look at what has happened in our city. Even the Daily Item exposed the bungling incompetence of those tasked with the management of this project, and laid bare the total lack of effective leadership in City Hall.
- The project was delayed by 4 years.
- Half the money is unaccounted for.
- There are only 50 installed cameras out of the originally promised 200
- The cameras have been installed in low or no crime areas throughout the City
- Our Police Department do not have access to live feeds – this privilege is reserved for members of the Public Works Department.
- The police do not appear to even have a list of camera locations
Bartello – The Voice of Reason
Councilman Joe Bartello is the only member of the City Council who can hold his head up high. Joe has been the voice of reason throughout this entire debacle, and has consistently opposed the Big Brother concept behind Persing’s 200 cameras.
He voted against the proposal when it was first made, and over the course of the last few months, has been almost totally excluded by the others from the decision making process. This is not democracy. Far from it.
This is nothing short of dictatorship – the way that Persing has always preferred to run our city.
As Joe said, “I guess when Persing says to vote on something they all just listen. That might be good enough for Snyder and the rest of them, but it is not good enough for me!”
It is time to show the dictator the door. Elect Joe Bartello Mayor on November 5th.